Police Steps Up Homa Bay Probe, Orders Sebu to DCI

Police Steps Up Homa Bay Probe, Orders Sebu to DCI
Kassim Abdi Sebu

NAIROBI, Kenya Aug 19 – The National Police Service (NPS) has ordered Kassim Abdi Sebu to surrender to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) in Homa Bay as investigations continue into the violence witnessed during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay County on Sunday, August 16, 2026.

The order was issued on Tuesday, August 18, with police saying Sebu is associated with the mayhem witnessed in the county.

The directive comes as investigations into the Homa Bay violence continue, with 12 suspects having already taken plea and been placed under various bond terms. The NPS said two other suspects are still being investigated over gun-related incidents and will be produced in court once the investigations are completed.

NPS Director of Corporate Communication and Spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga said Sebu had been ordered to report to the County DCI Headquarters in Homa Bay as investigators pursue individuals linked to the violence.

“One Kassim Abdi Sebu, who is being associated with the mayhem witnessed in Homa Bay, has been ordered to report to the County DCI Headquarters, Homa Bay,” Nyaga said.

The order follows violence during the Linda Mwananchi political tour in Homa Bay, where clashes were reported as the political team moved through the county. A police officer died during the unrest, while several people were injured and vehicles damaged.

The violence also affected journalists covering the political activities, with some journalists attacked during the disturbances. Police subsequently launched investigations and arrested suspects in connection with the incidents.

The Homa Bay violence came amid increased political activity by the Linda Mwananchi faction, which has been conducting political mobilisation activities in different parts of the country.

The group has been critical of the political cooperation between President William Ruto’s administration and sections of the opposition.

The Homa Bay tour was part of the faction’s wider political activities in the region, with leaders using the rallies to mobilise supporters and articulate their political positions.

The police investigation has also extended to Kisumu, where 15 suspects arrested with various crude weapons on the eve of the rally were produced in court. The NPS said the DCI was given four clear days to conduct further investigations.

The NPS further said Oliver Jaoko, alias Olivetti, who was linked to the 15 suspects, had been ordered to report to the Regional DCI Headquarters in Kisumu.

The developments in Homa Bay and Kisumu form part of the police investigation into incidents surrounding the political activities, with investigators continuing to process suspects through the criminal justice system.
Nyaga said the police would continue pursuing individuals involved in violence and criminal activity.

“The NPS thanks members of the public who have continued to support the police. We shall remain on this path until all acts of violence and criminality are brought to an end. The NPS reiterates that all actors involved in gang violence and mayhem shall be dealt with severely and firmly within the law,” said Nyaga, the NPS Director of Corporate Communication and Spokesperson.

The order for Sebu to report to the DCI is part of an ongoing investigation and does not by itself establish criminal liability. Investigators are expected to question him as they seek to establish his alleged connection to the events in Homa Bay.

The NPS has not stated when Sebu is expected to report to the DCI. Investigations into the Homa Bay and Kisumu incidents remain ongoing, with police saying those found to have been involved in violence or criminal activity will be dealt with within the law.